16.3.10

Squirrels

I used to think squirrels were cute until we moved to this house and started our garden. The moment we put plants in the ground the squirrels started digging them up. One morning, in an undignified fit of fury, I flung open the back door, pulled off a slipper and flung it at a digging squirrel. The squirrel did not flinch (I have really bad aim), so I flung my other slipper, then my socks and then a pair of gardening clogs. I swear that squirrel was laughing at me (Mr. Bloom was definitely laughing...)

When I started feeding the birds in my yard last autumn, I bought "squirrel proof" feeders (I was determined to make my garden as inhospitable as possible to them.) Then one day I saw a squirrel eating niger-thistle from the goldfinch feeder. Squirrels do not like niger-thistle. That squirrel must have been really hungry and I felt sorry for it. Off I went to the seed & feed store to buy a squirrel feeder (It's bluejay-proof... I'm still not feeling hospitable towards them.)

Truly, I'm glad my garden is now a welcoming place for all these little creatures. My son and I have sat on my bed for hours looking out the window at the birds and squirrels. Our favorites are the pointy-headed little titmice, but lately, there's a tiny wren who's won our hearts. And I have to say, my heart warms towards those squirrels when my son says, "Today was my lucky day... I got to see three squirrels eat our peanuts!"

We feed the finches, wrens, chickadees, titmice, juncos, doves, robins, towhees, sparrows, hummingbirds and squirrels. If you come to my garden, I will feed you, too...

2 comments:

I know that word-verification makes it difficult to comment, and that, due to moderation, your comments seem to vanish into thin air once you've hit "submit," but your comments will appear after approval (really!) I read every comment and love hearing from you (truly!)